Visit Allison's profile on Pinterest. Photobucket

Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

13 weeks

     Officially in the second trimester!  There's a debate whether it starts at 12 weeks or 13 weeks, but either way, I'm there.  Baby is as big as a peach, bones are forming, intestines are moving into the abdomen from the umbilical cord, and baby's pancreas is starting to produce insulin.

     I am now wearing all maternity clothes, even my "fat" jeans don't fit.  Ah well, at least I'm not so uncomfortable.  I am consistently hearing the heartbeat with the doppler, which is a very reassuring sound.  Daddy got to hear it last week, as well as the kids and my mom.  Heartbeat has consistently been in the 160's to 170's which according to Old Wive's Tale, indicates a girl.  Hmmm. Guess we'll see.


     So we bought a crib set!  Matt had seen a crib, changing table, and dresser set at the Furniture Store for $250 which I thought was a great deal.  I couldn't find anything else similar for even close to that, so we decided to go check it out even though I am so early.  Well when we got there, the lady said they only had two left and though not advertised, were ringing up for $187!  We could not pass that up, so early as it is, we went ahead and bought it!  The color is espresso and I absolutely love it!  I also found a Korbie 3in1 diaper bag that normally retails for $179 for $29.99 on Graveyardmall.com. It includes a portable bassinet and removable "changing table". Thought that was pretty cool.  I do love a deal!

     Blood sugars are much improved.  Still running a little above goal after breakfast.  They want me under 120 two hours post meal and I'm running in the 120's-150's.  Others are good except I'm still having a few nightime lows, but they are not as severe as before.  I had the dreaded CDE appointment on Wed.  I went in there knowing exactly what they were going to say.  30-45g of carbs for breakfast and lunch, 45-60 for dinner and 3 snacks of 15-30g each. Umm, YEAH RIGHT.  There is no way!  She kept stressing how I NEED carbs right now, my baby NEEDS CARBS.  Last time I checked, baby needs GLUCOSE which he will get either way.  Carbs or no, my body will produce glucose, and I get all the nutrients I need from meat and vegetables.  I have also increased my carb intake to 100g a day to stay out of ketosis and to keep from losing weight.  I think that should be plenty.  I decided if I go with their minimum requirements and only eat a bedtime snack (carb snack that is, I do snack lol) that will put me right over 100 so maybe I can do what I want and still be "compliant".  She asked if I was testing for ketones with all the lows.  I said "I thought you were supposed to check ketones when HIGH" she says "no I'm pretty sure it's when you're low" she gets a book and looks it up and is like "oh yeah I guess you're  right".  She then proceeded to say that we need to make sure that I am not burning fat for fuel because ketosis is not a healthy state for anyone, pregnant or not. UGGGH.  Do some research lady! She also bemoaned the dangers of saturated fat.  Sigh.  An hour of my life wasted.  Ok, stepping off my soap box.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Wow, great deals! I'd never been to graveyardmall before, I'm just checking it out now!

Steve Cooksey said...

You should get back on your soap box more often. :)

I enjoyed the post, especially the CDE Meeting notes. I don't know what it's like being a Type One Diabetic, but I know it's not easy. Keep fighting the good fight and keep inspiring others!

Rockabilly Gypsy said...

that set is GORGEOUS! Absolutely love it! And that is a SWEET deal!

stephanie martel said...

Although I realize that this post is over two years old I had to let you know how excited I am to see it! I am currently 6 weeks pregnant and have had Type 1 diabetes for 20 years. I've been looking for other moms with non-western medicine views on eating and life. The RNs advice for me feels so wrong and I appreciate your candidness.

Allison said...

I'm just seeing this. Congratulations on your pregnancy! I had great success eating this way and would recommend it to anyone.

Allison said...

I'm just seeing this. Congratulations on your pregnancy! I had great success eating this way and would recommend it to anyone.