Visit Allison's profile on Pinterest. Photobucket

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 10, 2011

15 weeks

     I'm a day early, but had a great appointment yesterday so wanted to share!  We are at 15 weeks.  Baby is around 4 inches long and 2.5 oz, bones are hardening, fingernails and toenails are developing as well as eyebrows! Baby now has taste buds, and can develop the hiccups from time to time.

     So for the past few weeks I have been extremely worried, after hearing that the baby's bladder appeared enlarged.  I found all kinds of scary things online, and was terrified that the baby wasn't going to make it.  Last weeks appointment was not reassuring.  So I had my appointment with the actual perinatologist, Dr. Royek,  yesterday.  I like him a lot.  I told him about my fears and pretty much BEGGED him to recheck the bladder.  He reluctantly agreed to do a "10 second check".  About two seconds in he says, "so do you want to find out what you're having?" I told him that I did, but wanted to wait until Matt was with me.  He checked the baby, and the bladder size was normal!  He said it was not enlarged at all.  I am so relieved.  I feel like I can enjoy this pregnancy now.  After rechecking he asks again, "you sure you don't want to know?" I told him no and he says "cause "I" know the sex yes I do".  Coulda smacked him lol.  From the speed of which he knew, I'm guessing it's a boy but guess we'll have to wait until April 4 to find out!

    The rest of the appointment went well also.  The Dr. said that he will allow me to vbac if that's what I really want, but he wants me to think seriously about the pros and cons before I make a decision.  The risk of uterine rupture is around 3% and while this is a low number, for those 3% it is devastating.  He said he has had HUNDREDS of successful vbacs including one recently after THREE cesareans (she came in at 9cm so he let her do it) and he has had 3 that did not go well.  One infant did not make it, one is mentally handicapped and with the other, the baby is fine, but mom had to have a hysterectomy.  Those are scary things to think about and I will have to think long and hard about it.  He also said that he will not take the baby early unless absolutely necessary, and that he will let me go to 40 or 41 weeks!  Let's hope we can go before that.  We need this baby out before Sep 1 so we don't have school issues like with Diana.

 Dr. Royek was very happy with my blood sugars.  He said he was extremely impressed with my control and that I was his poster patient.  My last HgbA1c came back at 5.7 and he said that his is probably higher! I think the next one will be even lower.  Below 5 is my goal, but we'll see. 5.2 is the lowest I've ever had.  He was basically of the opinion that I'm doing a good job, and can manage my blood sugars on my own.  He ok'd my lowering my carb ratio in the morning and it seems to be working.  Hopefully I can maintain this for a while before the insulin resistance kicks in (usually about 25 weeks for me).  So happy!


Laura said...

good to hear going well. I had that doctor with one of the kids.

Laura said...

that things are going well. Preggo brain makes me type all off i guess.

Erin said...

Glad things are going so well for you! :-) I tried to vote on the gender, but it wouldn't go through. I think I agree with you that it's probably a boy if he could tell so fast!