Visit Allison's profile on Pinterest. Photobucket

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

11 weeks old




     We are still sick.  :(  I finally took Adrian to the dr on Mon because he kept coughing so hard he vomited.  It turns out he had conjunctivitis (which has since cleared up), a double ear infection and a yeast diaper rash, poor baby.  They tested him for RSV and Flu which is not fun at all.  They put saline in Adrian's nose, then suctioned down to his throat to get a sample of mucous.  He was not too happy with that.  The Dr put him on Amoxicillin for the ear infection and Nystatin and Bacitracin for the diaper rash which has since cleared as well.  They said he is too little to give anything for cough and I am to just nurse him often and suction his nose as needed.  They weighed him at the appointment and (fully clothed with a wet diaper) he was 14lb13oz and 24.5 inches!  I can' t get over how much he has grown.

     I've been sick as well.  I've had yucky sinus drainage and cough.  I've been taking mega doses of D3 and finally broke down and took some cold medicine and finally got some decent sleep last night.  My blood sugars have been much better however.  I think I have my insulin adjusted for the moment.  I found some liquid D3 at the commissary and it's great.  It contains no soy or corn starch like the capsules and tablets do.  I've been putting it in my coffee.  I've been giving a little to Adrian as well.

      Yesterday I made an awesome pumpkin soup. I've been researching the nutritional value of common vegetables.  Did you know that corn has pretty much no nutritional value whatsoever?  Read the can next time you make it (if you make it that is).  It is pretty much good for fattening up cows and that's it (not good for them either).  Anyway, I found that pumpkin is jam packed with vitamins and minerals.  So here is the recipe:

Pumpkin Soup

1 can pumpkin pack (read the label and find the one with the lowest carbs, this one had 4 net grams per serving)
1 can coconut milk (again read the label and make sure there is no added sugar)
1 can chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp minced garlic
1tsp grated nutmeg
2 Tbsp curry (my new favorite spice!)
1/2 tsp maple flavoring (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Combine ingredients and simmer
   


No comments: